Dallas Independent School District
2909 North Buckner Blvd., 7th Floor
Dallas, Texas 75228
Dr. Karon Cofield
Phone: (972) 925-8000
Fax: (214) 321-6744
1. Are there any particular characteristics or qualities that potential applicants should possess?
Although there is no exact profile which exists for the ideal applicant, one key trait that ALL applicants should have is the "Hero" characteristic, the belief that they can make the difference in the lives of the students we serve. Another feature that preferred candidates should display is behavior that is most closely aligned with our district Core Beliefs. Those who cannot show evidence of demonstrating these two qualities should probably not apply. 2. Is Texas Principal Certification required before being accepted into the Academy? It’s preferred, but not required. Candidates should hold or be on track to complete their Texas Principal Certification by the end of the 2013-14 school year.
3. Do the Fellows from the School Leaders Academy (SLA) get to become a principal at the school of their choice upon graduation?
No. As positions develop, Fellows are eligible to compete for district openings while continuing to receive support from the Leadership Academy Staff.
4. How many people will be accepted into the Academy?
There are certainly many factors which influence the number of participants accepted into the Academy; however, at this time we are seeking up to 50 participants.
5. What does a typical day look like in the Fellows Academy?
Our Fellows participate in a rigorous, progressive curriculum designed around Destination 2020 and the expectations for leaders in Dallas ISD. The Academy begins with intensive professional development each day and gradually extends into school campuses for the residency and hands on experience.
6. I am a current Dallas ISD employee and my salary is higher than the posted salary. Will I keep my current salary?
Although there are limits, we do not wish to penalize in-district employees. Consideration will be given.
7. When the Fellows Academy is complete, are we guaranteed a principalship in Dallas ISD?
The Fellows Academy is designed to build leadership density in Dallas ISD. Although the ultimate goal is for each Fellow to obtain a principal or leadership position, it is not a guarantee. Currently, we have Fellows who are Assistant Principals, Program Development Coordinators, and Principals. The goal is to provide Dallas ISD with leaders who will move our district forward in whatever capacity they are qualified.
8. Is it true that after completing the Fellows Academy we must work in Dallas ISD for two additional years?
Yes, if hired for a permanent position. Dallas ISD invests a significant amount of money into training Fellows for leadership positions. In return, hired Fellows are expected to agree to work in Dallas ISD for two years after successfully completing the Academy.
9. What competencies are Fellows expected to master upon completion of the Academy?
Fellows are evaluated using a rigorous rubric that is focused on student achievement, effective instruction, and philosophy and culture. Throughout the year Fellows will receive feedback on their progress in these areas through coaching sessions.
10. When will the screening/interview process begin?
During March 2013.
11. When will the 2013-14 Academy begin?
During July 2013.
12. When will the 2013-14 Academy end?
During June 2014.
13. What will the work schedule be?
Mandatory Hours – Monday – Friday, 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Flexibility will be required during school residency.
14. Will I receive district benefits?
Yes, you will be entitled to all available employee district benefits.
15. When will candidates be notified of acceptance into the Academy?
During May and June 2013.