Attendance: Did You Know?
- That one of the best indicators that your child will graduate high school is the child’s ability to read on grade level by the end of third grade.
- Starting in Pre-kindergarten and Kindergarten, missing 5 or more school days each semester makes it harder for your child to learn to read!
- The older a child is, the harder learning becomes when they cannot read as proficiently as their friends in the classroom. It may reduce their motivation, lower their self-esteem, further absenteeism, increase discipline referrals, negatively impact their grades and all too often decreases the student’s desire to learn.
- If your child arrives 10-15 minutes late most school days will have missed over one week of instruction by the end of the school year.
- A high school student arriving 10 minutes late to a single class each day may miss as much as 25% of that class by the end of the semester.
It is very important for all parents, guardians, grandparents, aunts and uncles to understand coming to school each and every school day, on time and staying for the entire day is crucial for their child’s educational success.
Remember that you are the first teacher in your child’s life and if you believe and act as if your child’s education is important, the child will most likely believe it too.