HIPPY Dallas ISD
Early Childhood Education
2909 N Buckner
Dallas, Texas 75228
Phone: (972) 925-6770
Fax: (972) 794-3520
Home Instruction for Parents
of Preschool Youngsters
HIPPY programs empower parents as primary educators of their children in the home and foster parent involvement in school and community life to maximize the chances of successful early school experiences.
HIPPY is a 3-year (90 week) school readiness and parent involvement program in which learning and play go hand in hand. Using a structured curriculum, parents encourage their children to recognize shapes and colors, tell stories, follow directions, solve logical problems and acquire other school readiness skills. Trained peer home instructors role play the curriculum with each parent. Professional coordinators train and support home instructors.
|What it looks like: |
- A curriculum to prepare economically disadvantaged 3, 4, and 5 year old children for success in school
- Weekly contact with parents through home visits and group meetings
- Role-play as the primary instructional technique to train parents in early childhood development concepts
- Parent and child complete 20 minutes of activities per day resulting in 50 hours of school readiness instruction in the home.
- Monthly parent group meetings that allow parents the opportunity to share experiences and to learn about different topics of interest.
- The HIPPY model was designed to remove barriers to participation, due to lack of education, poverty, social isolation and other issues