AVID Student Profile & Application
The AVID program is for students who have a strong desire to attend post-secondary schooling. Determination is a key component of the AVID program. Although AVID serves all students, it focuses on the least served students in the academic middle, typically those who have a GPA between 2.0 and 3.5. Students in the program take the AVID class at the same time they are enrolled in rigorous/challenging courses such as Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), honors, and/or other college preparatory courses. The AVID elective class focuses on writing, critical thinking, collaboration, reading, note-taking, study skills, and college/career/motivational activities. Students are expected to keep an organizational binder system and take notes in every class every day of each week. Tutors are in the AVID class weekly to support tutorials facilitated by the instructor.
AVID Student Profile:
- Highly Motivated
- Grades of A, B, & High C
- Registered in at least 1 Advanced/Honors/AP/IB Course
- 1st Generation College student or desire to attend college
- Mid to high STAAR scores (Math & Reading)
- Good attendance and behavior
- Committed to community service and campus leadership roles
- Attend college field trips
- Participate in weekly collaborative tutorials with a college tutor
- Teacher Recommended
- Receive help in applying to college, jobs, scholarships, financial aid, etc.
Link to Application: