Booker T.Washington HSPVA - Theatre Department
Mime Troupe I
MimeTroupe I: is an ensemblecourse that offers intensive practical experience in mime, movement and maskwork to students who work as ensemble members. The class functions as a mimecompany engaged in the processes of creation, rehearsal, and performance ofmask work and silent theatre. Emphasis is on a variety of rehearsal andperformance processes, ensemble skills, and performancedisciplines. The course produces one major mime (silent theatre) worka year. Students create masks andperform mask studies. The course may betaken for three years.
- Daily warm-up and technique practice.
- Participation in full length mime rehearsals and production.
- Participation in street mime performances.
- Movement appropriate clothing: leotard and tights (or leggings), sweat pants and T-Shirt, modest shorts and T-Shirt, or Karate Pants.
- Movement appropriate shoes: Jazz shoes, ballet shoes, thin soled tennis shoes, socks with rubber grip bottoms, or barefoot.
- A weekly Journal, chronicling creative and theatrical ideas.
- It is necessary for all students to turn work in on time and to correct notes given on initial performances.
- The students will build on the skills learned in Beginning Mime and Movement class
- The students will build on the skills and techniques learned in acting classes, including physical characterization.
- The students will work effectively as a member of an ensemble
- The students will learn appropriate rehearsal skills
- The students will learn appropriate performance skills
- The students will participate in the development and performance of a full-length mime (silent theatre) show and perform a minor character role.
- The students will participate in public performances using appropriate professional ethics, make-up and costume.
- The students will learn and use the skills for mask making.
- The students will build on the necessary performance skills and techniques for Mask performance.
Rehearsal,participation, weekly journals
Developmentof characters for performances
6weeks test 15%
Weeks1- 6: review techniques, write, rehearseand perform mimes from prompts, practice ensemble skills, practice rehearsals
skills, practice performanceskills, produce weekly journals
Weeks 7-12: write, rehearse and perform group mimesfrom prompts, practice rewriting skills, produce 3-D characters
Weeks13-18: rehearse full-length silent theatre production creating 3-D characters,practice rehearsal and ensemble skills
Weeks 19-24:rehearse and perform silent theatre production with characters, practiceensemble and performance skills
Weeks 25-30: design, sculpt and create 3-Dcharacter mask using proper techniques.
Weeks 31-36: complete mask and develop physicalcharacter from mask, write, rehearse and perform mask studies