Literacy Websites for High School Students
- Read write think
Has an endless amount of activities to use in a variety of content area classes.
Enhance learning with free lesson plans and educational resources
- Absolute Shakespeare This site provides extensive resources for William Shakespeare's plays, sonnets, poems, quotes, biography and the legendary Globe Theatre.
- American Memory includes original documents, maps, photographs, sound recordings and more from American history. Features a collection finder, search engine, learning activities that build on information literacy skills and "today in history".
- Biography.comenables students to learn about over 25,000 of the greatest lives, past and present, play Who Am I?. Teachers can access classroom study guides.
- Complete Works of William Shakespeare includes electronic text of many of Shakespeare's plays and poems.
- Country Reports is an excellent and comprehensive online reference website that provides lots of content area text organized within a database. (Some information requires a low cost subscription.)
- CNN Learning Resources offers web-delivered instruction using current and past CNN San Francisco bureau news stories. Although the intended audience is adults, high school students can benefit from this technology supported reading aid.
- Discovering Dickens lets students choose from five cases, visit related sources, and then transform the information into a project such as a timeline, diary, storyboard, or poster to demonstrate their new found knowledge.
- Encyclopedia Mythica is an encyclopedia of mythology, folklore and legend. It contains over 6000 definitions of gods and goddesses, supernatural beings and legendary creatures and monsters from all over the world.
- Fake Out vocabulary game by Education Place
- Focusing on Words and building vocabulary with Latin and Greek roots
- New York Times Learning Network for Students and Teachers includes daily interactive updates, lesson plans, web explorations, NIE resources and more.
- PinkMonkey BookNotes and Study Guides features more than 350 literature summaries and helpful booknotes as well as many other resources.
- SCORE Cyberguides for Students in Grades 9-12 includes interactive web-based learning guides for over 40 popular pieces of literature covered in many high school literature curriculums. There's also a section for Foreign Language Cyberguides. Don't miss this one!
- Scholastic NewsZone,Weekly Reader and Time for Kids are wonderful reading materials for students reading in the content areas.
- The Digital Classroom from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) includes a wealth of resources and instructional strategies to encourage teachers of students at all levels to use archival documents in the classroom.
- Thinkquest.org engages collaborative teams of students from around the world in the process of designing educational websites for use on the Internet. You can access the Thinkquest Library, a culmination of over twelve years of online web development, or find out more about you can become a member of a Thinkquest design team.
- World Cultures is an interactive reading environment intended for use with higher level students that "rewards independence, interest, self-direction, and intellectual interaction with the authors of the material". It combines the reading and course materials of two World Cultures courses taught using web-based materials.
- Read write think