Dallas ISD Invites Parents to VolunteerThere are many ways parents can assist at their childs school that can fit their interests and availability and, at the same time, meet the needs of the school. Whenever parents get involved at the school, children see that education is important. Volunteer opportunities include:
Ideally, schools would like volunteers to assist one hour a week throughout the school year. However, schools are flexible in scheduling volunteers who cant be at the school each week. To become a volunteer:
- Judging contests
- Assisting in the office
- Reading and listening
- Assisting in the library
- Helping in the classroom
- Serving as a guest speaker
- Supervising and chaperoning
- Assisting with computer literacy
- Serving on advisory committees
- Helping with classroom celebrations
For more information call or visit the districts Web site at www.dallasisd.org. From the home page, click on Support Our Schools from the tabs that run across the page.
- Contact the schools volunteer/partnership coordinator.
- Fill out the online application at www.dallasisd.org/partners/main.htm.
Volunteer applicants must consent to a criminal background check.
- Attend a volunteer orientation and training session, either at the school or at the district administration offices.
- Coordinate your volunteer schedule as it suits you best.
To learn more about the value of volunteering in your child"s school, view the National Standards for Parent and Family Involvement Programs.