Over-the counter medications


    Over-the-counter medications are NOT ROUTINELY administered at school. When OTC medications are needed at school, the rules for prescription medications apply. Over-the-counter medication must be in the ORIGINAL  product container/package and a Physician/Parent Request for Administration of Medicine or Special Procedure by School Personnel (H72) must be completed and signed by the physician/licensed prescriber and parent/guardian.

    Parent request for short-term medication: A Physician/Parent Request for Administration of Medicine or Special Procedure by School Personnel H72 must be signed by the parent when a student must take a prescribed medication for ten school days or less. The written request from the parent/guardian granting permission for administration and indicating the time and other pertinent administration information is authorized when the parent signs the H72 form. The container and labeling rules apply to all medications administered at school, including short-term medication.

    Physician/licensed prescriber orders


    A Physician/Parent Request for Administration of Medicine by School Personnel (H72) form signed by the physician/licensing prescriber and the parent is required to authorize medication administration at school when a student must take medication for more than ten days. This form is available on Health Services’ website. This medication order form must be renewed at least every 12 months or whenever changes in the prescription occur. The physician/licensed prescriber orders are kept on file in the nurse’s office for the length of time the medication is given at school or until the end of one calendar year. All medications, inventories and administrations are documented in the EHR.



    Students may carry supplies and self-administer medication at school for anaphylaxis, asthma, or diabetes (e.g., injectables, inhalers) with a written physician/licensed prescriber order (H72) including parent permission. Students who carry and self-administer medication must also demonstrate to the medical provider and school nurse the capability for self-administration, including proper use and maintenance of delivery devices as well as responsible behavior and understanding regarding the health condition and medications. The "need-to-know" school personnel should be informed of the student’s right to carry and self-administer the medication in order to avoid confiscation or denial of the medication or unwarranted disciplinary action. The student should report to the nurse for further evaluation if the emergency medication is needed or taken. All Injectable medications, including self-administering epinephrine pens and insulin orders require Health Services approval. Students are not allowed to carry and self-administer any controlled medication.