Advanced Placement (AP) Program
Seize the Day! Impact your future!
Advanced Placement or AP courses are sponsored by College Board. This program gives students the opportunity to take college-level courses and exams while still in high school. Pinkston High School has a very impressive AP listing. Through the AP program’s courses and exams, you can earn college credit and advanced placement, stand out in the admissions process, and learn from very skilled and dedicated teachers.
Advanced Placement has something for everyone. Here are just a few reasons to consider AP classes:
- Receive recognition from colleges and universities that annually receive AP Exam scores. Over 90% of 4-year colleges in the U.S. provide credit and/or advanced placement for qualifying scores.
- Have time to move into upper-level courses in your field of interest, pursue a double major, or study abroad.
- Design a college experience that suits you and gives you the flexibility to get the most of your college years.
- Stand out in the college admissions process. AP demonstrates your maturity and readiness for college. It shows your willingness to take the most rigorous courses available to you, and emphasizes your commitment to academic excellence.
- You will get a head start on college-level work.
- Improve your writing skills and sharpen your problem-solving techniques.
- Develop the study habits necessary for tackling rigorous course work.
Advanced Placement courses are sponsored by the College Board.
AP Course Listing:
- US History
- World History
- English IV, V
- Spanish IV, V
- French IV
- German IV
Advanced Placement courses require that students take the AP Exam in the spring. The tests are ususually scheduled during the first two weeks in May. To pass, you need to score a 3, 4, or 5 on the exam.
How do you sign up for AP courses? See your counselor today. They will advise you and help you to decide what classes you would benefit from and do the best in. If you have questions, please drop by the Counselors’ Office and make an appointment.