Guidelines for Research in Dallas ISD Guidelines for Research in Dallas ISD
- All research must be conducted in compliance with state and federal laws, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA).
- Active consent for staff and student participation (from parents or guardians) must be obtained before data can be collected.
- Individual students, staff, or schools may not be identified in reports (publication or presentation).
- All persons having ANY contact with students must complete a district criminal background check.
- Research cannot be conducted in any school without the approval of the school's principal. In most cases, principal permission should be obtained and Form F should be submitted with the application materials. The only exceptions are studies which are district-wide and thus involve the vast majority of campuses in the district.
- Staff or student participation in any external research project is voluntary.
- Primary data collection in schools must be completed before Spring Break. No data collection will be permitted between Spring Break and the end of the school year (please refer to our district calendar), with minor exceptions for instructional, student services, professional development, or other district-sponsored programs incorporating an assessment or evaluation component.
- No data collection will be allowed on testing days. Please consult the district's testing calendar.
Student Data and Confidentiality Proceed to Application Instructions