You must submit an application:
- if your research project involves collecting individual-level data from or about Dallas ISD students, staff, or parents (e.g., surveys, tests, interviews, observations, focus groups, or other direct primary data-gathering methodologies), or
- if you are requesting an extract of individual-level data maintained by Dallas ISD on district databases, including demographic, achievement, attendance, personnel, or other district records.
Please read our guidelines for conducting research in schools BEFORE submitting an application to make sure your research will be considered by the RRB. Thank you!
Preparing Your ProposalIn your research proposal, you will need to provide the following types of information about your research study:
- A statement of the research questions and objectives and a description of the implications of the research for Dallas ISD schools, including the educational challenge(s) addressed by the research.
- A description of the study site(s) and a timeline that outlines the research methodology and activities.
- A research methodology that fully describes the subjects and details the instruments and procedures in collecting the study’s data. It should be as specific as possible in regard to the number of subjects and how they are recruited.
- A detailed explanation of the data analysis plan.
- If your research involves direct student or staff participation, the estimated time required of the participants for the study’s research activities will also need to be reported.
- A statement of the risks and benefits of the study.
- If you are requesting secondary data, then type and description of student- and school-level data that is being requested from the Dallas ISD.
If you are collecting new data for your research proposal, you will most likely also need:
- Active consent letters for the study’s participants including school administrators, teachers, other school staff, students and parents; please note, due to the high percentage of Spanish-speaking parents in Dallas ISD, all parental consent forms also need to be provided in Spanish.
- A plan to guarantee confidentiality for research subjects and to ensure that study findings are reported anonymously (Form C).
- Principal permission to conduct research in their schools.
- A copy of all study participant recruitment flyers and brochures.
- All surveys, questionnaires, and protocols for interviews, focus groups, and observations, along with any technical data describing validity and reliability of the instruments.
Submitting Your Proposal
Application materials must be submitted electronically. Please DO NOT submit application materials as a ZIP file; we are unable to receive ZIP files per district policy.
Applications or questions about the application process should be submitted to email@example.com. The Access to Confidential Data and Assurances to Dallas ISD forms must be signed and returned along with an application fee.* All data request for existing data with data sharing agreements approved and signed will be subject to the data request fee schedule. The application fee must be a cashier's check or money order payable to "Dallas ISD" and include the project title on the check.
Fees can be sent to:
Attention: Dr. Larry Featherston
Department of Evaluation and Assessment
2909 N. Buckner Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75228
*The fee does not guarantee that the proposal will be approved, only that it will be reviewed and a letter of acceptance or rejection will be provided to the researcher. The fee will be waived for Dallas ISD employees conducting research as a requirement for a Master's or Doctoral degree.
Proposal Extensions and Modifications (Form I)
Requests for a timeline extension or modification of a previously approved project does not require resubmitting a full application. Please complete the Research Modification Coversheet and attach documentation of any proposed modifications (Form I).Background Check
Researchers that are collecting primary data on Dallas ISD campuses MUST complete a background check. To obtain a background check, please visit Dallas ISD's Volunteer Department page and create a volunteer account. After creating an account, under Volunteer Application, select “General” for Volunteer Type and check the radial box to give consent for a criminal records check. Under Additional Information, select “Other” and click "Evaluation and Assessment." Please make sure your provided email address is current. You should receive an email confirmation 48-72 hours after submitting request (DISD employees will not receive confirmation).