In the News
For more information about Public School Choice, please view our extensive FAQ sheet which is updated frequently and contains general information as well as specific details regarding Choice Schools.To view some of the media coverage about Dallas ISD's Public School Choice initiative and Choice Schools, check out:
- Orientation gives students firsthand look at new CityLab High School (en espanol), June 2017, The Hub.
- Dallas Schools, Long Segregated, Charge Forward on Diversity, June 2017, New York Times
- Dallas ISD seeking proposals for new Public School Choice Campuses, May 2017, The Hub.
- Mayor Recognizes Elementary School for UNICEF Contributions; March 2017, Preston Hollow People.
- Dallas ISD Announces New Choice Schools and Programs; February 2017, The Hub.
- District receives nearly 1,600 applications for Transformation Schools; February 2017, The Hub.
- Solar Prep Academy Partners with Girl Scouts; January 2017, CBS Local.
- CityLab School Plans to Take Learning to the Streets; January 2017, KERA.
- One-of-a-Kind Pilot Brings Girl Scouts into Dallas School; January 2017, CBS Local.
- Dallas ISD New Transformative School; December 2016, NBC DFW.
- District currently accepting applications for Transformation Schools; December 2016. The Hub.
- New CityLab High School to take learning beyond the class; November 2016. The Hub.
- School Integration in Practice: Lessons from Nine Districts (The Century Foundation); October 2016
- This is like a super school': Dallas' new all-girls school has ambitious goals, August 2016; Dallas Morning News
- New Girls School Set to Open in Fall Awarded $350,000 launch grant," June 2016; The Hub
- "District invites educators to design and launch a Choice School in Dallas ISD," June 2016; The Hub
- "Has Dallas ISD finally stopped hemorrhaging the middle class?" June 2016; Dallas Observer
- "To really integrate schools, focus on wealth, not race,"June 2016; Washington Post
- "Bryan Adams High School Leadership Academy inaugural class takes big first step," May 2016; The Hub
- "Ceremony celebrates graduates of the ESA Digital Living Project at D.A. Hulcy STEAM Middle School," May 2016; The Hub
- "When School Districts Get Deliberate about Segregation," April 2016; The Atlantic
- "Taking Action on School Diversity," April 2016; The Century Foundation
- "Even better than boasting No. 1 U.S. high school, Dallas ISD makes good news on diversity efforts," April 2016; Dallas Morning News
Dallas ISD high school would use city as a learning lab”, March 2016; Dallas Morning News
ISD announces plans for new cohort of Choice Schools,” March 2016, Dallas ISD; The Hub
- "Socioeconomic integration could help Dallas and its public schools win back the middle class," February 2016; Dallas Morning News
ISD Chief says segregation morally, economically unsustainable”, February
2016; D Magazine
Everybody’s doing it – but will it work in Dallas?”, February 2016; The
in the middle class: Dallas ISD asks City Hall for help ending‘re-segregation’”; February 2016; Dallas Morning News
ISD to ask city for help integrating high-poverty schools”; February 2016; Dallas
- “Dallas hoping for Diversity
with new Specialty Schools”; February 2016; FOX 4 News
out Racial Berlin Wall while leaders inside fight to keep it"; February
2016; Dallas Observer
DISD is going to talk Schools and Segregation, maybe the Morning News should mention it”; February 2016; Dallas Observer
Trustees will learn, fixing Dallas Schools means Fixing Segregation”; February 2016; Dallas Observer
- "Now I get it: This is what 'school choice' could mean for Dallas ISD students"; December 2015; Dallas Morning News
Learning Lab: inside the effort to re-imagine Dallas schools”; December
2015; Dallas Observer
- "Learn more about Public School Choice options at open house events"; December 2015; The Hub
- "Saturday event to showcase magnet and school choice options", December 2015; Dallas ISD, The Hub
ISD is looking for a better way to measure student poverty”; November 2015; Dallas Observer
- Editorial: Why opening another all-girls school in Dallas ISD makes sense; October 2015; Dallas Morning News
- Dallas ISD to open first all-girls STEAM school"; September 2015; WFAA
- Dallas middle schools reopen with STEAM focus"; September 2015; WFAA
- "Two new Choice Schools putting innovation into practice."; September 2015; The Hub
- "STEAM, business Choice Schools in DISD Give Life to Previously Closed Campuses."; August 2015; Dallas Morning News
- “Garza Early College Aerospace Scholar Soars toward Astronaut Dream.” July 2015; The Hub
- "Choice School enthusiasm surpasses expectations." June 2015, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- "Nearly 700 students apply to attend new Choice Schools." May 2015, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “Dallas ISD Seeks Proposals for Second Group of Choice Schools.” May 2015, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “A New Choice in Educating Students.” May 2015, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “District is Seeking First Students at the New Hulcy STEAM Middle School (Video).” May 2015, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “DISD Launches New Choice School Program.” March 2015, NBC News Dallas
- "Bryan Adams part of DISD's inaugural cohort of Choice Schools," April 2015, Dallas Morning News
- "Personalized Learning at Marsh." February 2015, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “Hopes are High for Personalized Learning at Cabell Elementary.”January 2015, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “Personalized Learning Ready to Launch.”, December 2014, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “Expanding School Choice Offerings.” November 2014, Dallas ISD, The Hub
- “Parents, Community Urged to Take School-Choice Survey.” September 2014, Dallas ISD, The Hub