How can you help your AVID student?Your child needs your help! Don’t worry!Here’s how you can help your child be successful.
1. Don’t ask your child if he or she has any homework!
Why?The answer is usually “No” and that will be the end of the conversation.
Try to ask questions that cannot be answered with a yes or a no.
“What did you do in history (or science, or math)today?”
“How did your project go in English?”
“How do you think you did on your test today?”
2. Check to see that they are bringing home their AVID binder EVERY evening.
All AVID students are required to review their notes, study, and organize their binder.
There is always something to do even if there is NO homework to do.
3. Check their planner weekly to see what they have going on in school.
AVID students should have their assignments, projects, tests, and after school activities written in their planner every day.
4. Help them create a study place, where they can study each night.
AVID students are required to spend time studying every night.
It is helpful if they have a place where they will not be disturbed.
Turn off the TV, turn off the phones, turn off the music.
5. Have basic supplies for students to use.
Always try to keep school supplies in the homes such as pencils, paper, markers,scissors, glue, colored pencils, etc. This will help your child be prepared to do projects and other assignments.