UT Outreach targets and serves underrepresented students by providing college readiness enrichment designed to assist them in graduating from high school and matriculating to institutions of higher education, including The University of Texas at Austin.
UT Outreach can serve at least 30 students per grade level at target high school campuses. Eligible students who are selected for the program will receive college readiness services. Selected students who are in the Top 10% of their class may qualify to participate in the Longhorn Pre-College Academy and receive college readiness services that are specifically geared toward admission to UT Austin.
UT Outreach staff members will meet with participating outreach students monthly during advisory periods (or another designated time during the school day).
Weekend and evening workshops will be held at least once per month for all outreach participants.
In addition to evening and weekend workshops, students will be eligible to participate in leadership development activities, community service opportunities, field trips and summer enrichment camps.
Program CriteriaStudents eligible to participate in UT Outreach should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Attend one of the target public high schools
- Receive the recommendation of a school administrator, teacher or counselor
- Complete a UT Outreach application
- Pursue the Texas Education Agency’s Recommended or Distinguished/Advanced High School Program
- Complete Algebra I in the 8th grade, if course was available (Preferred)
- Enrollment in at least one core subject that serves as an advanced measure
- Currently have a 3.2 GPA and the ability to maintain at least an 80 average
- Longhorn Pre-College Academy Cohort: Currently have a 3.5 GPA and/or rank in the top 10% of their class
Curriculum and Program Topics
UT Outreach staff will deliver services and programs that closely align with the State of Texas’ College and Career Readiness Cross Disciplinary Standards and with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s “Generation TX” College Readiness initiative. Each workshop, meeting or event will be focused on college readiness and college access.
Topics for workshops, meetings and events include, but are not limited to, the following:
Participating High Schools
- Resume and personal statement writing
- Financial aid application assistance/scholarship assistance
- Community service
- Leadership development
- Barack Obama
- Cedar Hill
- Cedar Hill Collegiate
- North Dallas
- South Oak Cliff
Participating Middle Schools
- DeSoto East
- DeSoto West
- McCowan (DeSoto)
For more information contact us:
Joe Posada-Triana,Outreach Center Counselor
UT Outreach - Dallas ISD Longhorn Center for School Partnership
Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
The University of Texas at Austin1600 Pennsylvannia Ave. Dallas, Texas 75215PHONE: (214) 426-1233 FAX: (214) 426-1236Web: http://ddce.utexas.edu/schoolpartnerships/ut-outreach/dallas/
Facebook: UT Outreach-Dallas Twitter: @utoutreachdfw