Officer: Aliya Larzeia
This position is the most demanding in a cadet battalion. The instructor staff selects the cadet for this position based on demonstrated leadership ability and academic standing. The appointed cadet must be able to apply common sense and judgment in the solving of problems that affect the entire cadet corps.
The battalion commander must be mature, willing to accept responsibility, and able to effectively delegate authority and supervise subordinates. The battalion commander controls the staff through the battalion executive officer and the companies through the company commanders, while maintaining the final approval authority in the cadet chain of command.
- Command the battalion at all formations.
- Prepare for and conduct the training of the battalion on drill days.
- Maintain a direct and personal relationship with the staff and the company commanders.
- Encourage the company commanders to communicate freely.
- Use the staff to assist in gathering information and preparing plans for conducting training and controlling the battalion.
- Designate staff officers to assist in the preparation, execution, and supervision of orders.
- Ensure that feelings of mutual respect and confidence exist between the staff and company commanders.
- Ensure that staff members are capable and that they understand their responsibilities to the battalion commander, battalion executive officer, and to the corps of cadets.
- Ensure orders and actions are in compliance with JROTC regulations, policies, and directives and with local school regulations and policies.
- Execute all responsibilities in the name of the Senior Army Instructor; seek advice and assistance from the instructor staff and carry out all of their directives quickly and completely.
- Arrange the required meetings and assemble the required command or staff personnel to determine any actions that may be necessary in fulfilling the obligations of the cadet battalion.
- Be prepared to evaluate any member of the battalion, but specifically the battalion headquarters personnel and the company commanders.
- Make operational decisions for the cadet battalion.
- Preside over officer call.
- Work with school authorities in coordinating activities of the cadet battalion with the organizations of school, ensuring that battalion activities are in accordance with school policy.
- In coordination with the senior Army Instructor, assign missions to all extracurricular team captains such as drill,rifle,color guard, and so on.
- Be responsible for all the battalion does or fail to do.