Battalion Command Sergeant Major (CSM)
Rank: Cadet/Sergeant Major
The battalion command sergeant major is the principal cadet enlisted assistant to the battalion commander. As the senior enlisted member of the cadet corps, the command sergeant major supervises the other noncommissioned officers (NCOs) of the battalion and companies.
- Assist subordinate NCOs, the battalion XO, and the adjutant with administrative duties/details.
- Advise and assist the battalion commander in all matters pertaining to the enlisted members of the cadet battalion.
- Assist the adjutant in the formation and alignment of the battalion at all battalion formations.
- Receive lists of absentees from the companies and submit them to the adjutant.
- Supervise the color guard and all flag details. Ensure that company first sergeants submit their weekly flag details on time, post those rosters, and ensure that members selected for detail receive their notification slips prior to the assignment.
- Ensure the flag details are properly trained.
- Ensure that the battalion area, including the drill field, is maintained in a high state of police at all times and that JROTC offices and classrooms are kept neat and orderly.
- Preside over all noncommissioned officer promotion boards.
- Assume command of the battalion in the absence of all officers.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the battalion commander, battalion executive officer, or the instructor staff.