Field Trip FundingCareer and Technical Education (CTE)Guidelines for Requesting Field Trip Funding for TRANSPORTATION ONLYField trips are designed to increase student knowledge and understanding of a subject by providing active, hands-on experiences and adding realism to the topic of study while using the rich resources of the local community. Proper planning is vital to the success of this experience and must precede all field trips. Careful attention should be given to trip selection, pre-visit preparation (if possible), the trip itself, appropriate follow up, and evaluation.Important DeadlinesAll field trips and buses MUST be submitted no less than 21 business days prior to the trip
- All proposed trips must be discussed in advance with the CTE department prior to preparing paperwork.
- All proposed trips must be entered into the Google Fieldtrip Request Form at 2019-2020 Field Trip Request Form
- All trips for the Fall of 2019 must be submitted to School Leadership for approval no later than the close of business on Friday, October 4, 2019.
- All trips for the Spring of 2020 must be submitted to School Leadership for approval no later than the close of business on Friday, February 21, 2020.
- Field trip paperwork completed by school leadership must be forwarded to your CTE Coordinator no less than 21 days in advance.
- Please be aware that completing this form does not approve your trip funding. It is for planning purposes only.
- Identify the rationale, objectives and plan of evaluation for the field trip.
- Select the site to be visited. Contact the educational coordinator for the site and arrange the date and time. Obtain the pre-trip information package if one is available. Record addresses, directions, contact persons, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- Note: Career and Technical Education does not fund out of state or out of country field trips.
- All necessary field trip forms can be downloaded at https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/37300.
- Seek administrative approval from the departmental chairperson, curriculum administrator or the principal, executive director and/or deputy chief (6 - 8 weeks in advance). Please note out-of-county field trips require deputy chief approval and out-of-state field trips require chief of school leadership approval as well.
- Work with your campus field trip coordinator to determine the correct forms needed for field trips and the time frames for approval.
- Also see the Field Trip Checklist for additional information.
- Complete Field Trip Proposal Planning Document in its entirety.
Time frames are limited to the following:
- 9:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Buses outside the listed timeframes require written rationale and CTE Director approval
When selecting a time frame for your trip, use one of the following options:
Submitting your Trip to the CTE Department
- Create a list of chaperones with phone numbers as well as names and grade levels of students attending the trip.
- Send a letter to parents to request their involvement as chaperones. Make sure to communicate the assigned duties/responsibilities, review field trip objectives, list activities, and schedule.
- Review the Chaperones Duties and Responsibilities document with all chaperones.
- Distribute to all chaperones the required Chaperone Statement Acknowledgement document for their signatures.
- Develop field trip itinerary.
- Make arrangements for meal or sack lunch if needed.
- Create a list of all student names and home phone numbers for use in an emergency.
- Submit required documentation to the campus administration for campus approval.
- Follow up with each step of the approval process to ensure the correct signatures are obtained.
- Complete parent permission letter (English and Spanish available) - After field trip is approved, complete the parent permission forms and obtain signatures.
- Review all documents for proper signatures and information.
- Scan a copy of your completed and signed paperwork to your assigned CTE Coordinator a minimum of 3 weeks prior to your trip.
- Follow up with your CTE Coordinator 2 weeks prior to your trip to confirm that they have secured a bus for your trip.