South Oak Cliff was founded on March 8, 1949 and opened its doors in 1952. The school serves students from south and east Oak Cliff in Dallas, Texas. South Oak Cliff High School provides comprehensive and collegiate academy education for more than 1,500 students. Programs for students include storied athletics programs, two National Academy Foundation (NAF) Academies (Academy of Information Technology and Academy of Engineering), fine arts, Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC), debate, and mock trial. The South Oak Cliff Collegiate Preparatory opened on the campus during the 2016-2017 school year.
South Oak Cliff High School is recognized by the University Interscholastic League as Division 4A State Champions for school years 1976-1977, 1991-1992, 2006-2007, and 2007-2008. Students also compete in baseball, golf, football, softball, track and field, and volleyball. On December 18, 2021, the South Oak Cliff High School Golden Bears made history by becoming the 2021 UIL 5A State Champions, being the first Dallas ISD football team to win since David W. Carter High School's 1988 state championship.
The SOCNation includes an active alumni association called the SOC Alumni Bear Cave. The #SOCNation mascot is the Golden Bear, which is proudly carried by current and former students alike, as well as by South Oak Cliff staff members.
South Oak Cliff High School feeder schools include Kennedy-Curry and Dr. Frederick Todd Sr (formerly known as Sarah Zumwalt) Middle Schools. Elementary schools that feed into South Oak Cliff High School include W.W. Bushman Elementary, H.I. Holland Elementary, Barbara Jordan Elementary, Thomas L. Marsalis Elementary, Clara Oliver Elementary, Clinton P. Russell Elementary, Harry Stone Montessori Academy, Robert L. Thornton Elementary, and Whitney M. Young Elementary Schools.
Principal Dr. W.F. Johnson
Mascot: Golden Bear
SOCNation Mantra: "Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things"
SOCNation Vison/Mission:The purpose of South Oak Cliff High School is to educate. empower, and equip high achieving citixzens for a changing world.
Student, School and Faculty Awards
- 2021 UIL 5A State Champions
- Community Liaison awarded the 2015-16 Dallas ISD Ambassador Award
- 2013-Current~Fuel Up to Play 60 (FUTP60) Campus
- 2015 Awarded School Garden Grant from Action For Healthy Kids (AFHK).
- 2008, 2007, 1992, and 1977 Class 4A Basketball State Champions
- Principal of the Year 2008-2009
- 1st place - Math Olympiad
- School Zone Dallas Team Member
- 2nd place - Academic Decathlon
- The University of Texas at Austin Longhorn Opportunity Scholarships
- Dr. Emmett J. Conrad Scholarship
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Scholarship
- Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce Golden Oaks awards
- Baylor University President’s Gold Scholarship
- American Association of University Women Scholarship
- Academic UIL Spring Meet overall SPEECH Team Winner
- UIL Academic Meet 11-4A Champion
- Athletic director inducted into Texas Sports Hall of Fame