Procedures for staff during district closing due to COVID-19
Dallas ISD considers the health and safety of our staff and students our top priority. The district has been closely monitoring the Novel Coronavirus, or COVID-19, outbreak. Pending board approval, beginning March 23, 2020, the Dallas ISD has suspended standard district operations due to the current COVID-19 outbreak. This emergency has resulted in a districtwide closure resulting in a districtwide Extended Emergency Leave.
- During this districtwide Extended Emergency Leave all active employees for Dallas ISD will be placed on an approved emergency leave for the duration of the district closure.
- All active District employees will receive their normal compensation/paycheckswith no deductions to their paid time off (PTO) during an Extended Emergency Leave.
- During a districtwide Extended Emergency Leave while all staff will receive their normal compensation levels, some staff may be required to perform some limited duties remotely/work from home to maintain key functions of the District including but not limited to activities such as instruction, lesson development, curriculum development, staff supports and business office functions such as payroll etc..
All District Employees during districtwide Extended Emergency Leave
- All active District employees will receive their normal compensation based on their established salary/hourly compensation rate.
- Dallas ISD Payroll Department will maintain the normal schedule of paychecks for bi-weekly and monthly employees. For questions and concerns related to payroll please contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Active exempt and non-exempt campus-based staff and all exempt and non-exempt central staff employees may be required to work remotely/work from home to some degree as needed and determined by their supervisors to meet the needs of our students and the needs of District as part of this compensation.
- This work will be limited to essential functions for students, staff and the District as determined by the employees’ supervisor.
- All district employees on Extended Emergency Leave should be available during their normal work hours.
- Any employee that is not set up for direct deposit will have their checks mailed by Treasury until the district returns to normal operations.
- The days for which an employee is granted Extended Emergency Leave will not be deducted from the employee’s paid time off.
Non-Exempt Campus and Central Staff during districtwide Extended Emergency Leave
- All active non-exempt campus based staff and active non-exempt central staff employees will be placed on an approved extended emergency leave for the duration of the district closure.
- All non-exempt staff will be paid for the number of hours in their established work schedule (usually 40 hours per week for most positions).
- It is the responsibility of both the non-exempt employee and supervisor to ensure that non-exempt employees do not accrue overtime during this emergency leave period and that their hours are strictly kept under 40 hours per week.
- All non-exempt campus staff and non-exempt central staff will be required to keep a log of their times worked and submit via email to their supervisor for any week that exceeds 40 hours while working remotely.
Exempt Campus and Central Staff during districtwide Extended Emergency Leave
- All active employees that are campus based exempt staff and exempt central staff employees will be placed on an approved Extended Emergency Leave for the duration of the district closure.
- These employees will receive their full compensation based on their established work schedule and salary.
- Some central staff may be required to work remotely/work from home as part of the emergency leave to maintain key functions of the District including but not limited to activities such as instruction, lesson development, curriculum development, staff supports and business office functions such as payroll etc.. as part of their emergency leave compensation.
- Campus based exempt staff such as teachers, administrators, counselors, media specialist, etc. will create, upload and maintain digital content, activities and assignments, provide feedback to our students, monitor student progress including but not limited to monitoring google classroom, participate in virtual meetings as needed, and maintain core functions of our District to meet the needs of our students and stakeholders as appropriate to their positions as part of their emergency leave compensation.
Essential Personnel during districtwide Extended Emergency Leave
- As determined by the Superintendent of Schools, essential personnel are District employees called to duty to perform essential tasks when the District is closed.
- Essential personnel may be exempt or non-exempt employees.
- Essential personnel may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Police and Security
- Essential personnel must be requested by their supervisor to report to the work site during the closure and must have prior supervisor approval prior to reporting.
- Essential personnel cannot perform their duties remotely as part of the Extended Emergency Leave due to the nature of their job scope/duties.
- All essential staff who are willing to report to the work site following their supervisors request will need to utilize the bioclock to clock in and out for all times reported.
- Essential personnel will be requested to report to the work site andwill receive flex time, overtime or compensatory time based on their employment status for the time worked.
- At such time as the Superintendent of Schools or designee declares the District re-opened, employee compensation reverts to the standard practice in accordance with the District’s Compensation Manual.
All departments will need to submit a list of staff designated as Essential Staff along with names, ID, and generally expected schedule (days and hours) to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “Designated Essential Staff (Department)”. Payroll will provide the form to submit this data to provide consistency in format.