Who is Eligible?
The Texas Legislature determines eligibility requirements for free, public PreK in Texas. When the Texas legislature established the PreK program the intent was, and still is, to provide early learning experiences to students who are most at risk. Therefore, the eligibility is limited.
A child is eligible for PreK if the child is 3-years-old on or by September 1, 2020 or is 4-years-old on or by September 1, 2020 and meets at least one of the following eligibility requirements:
- is educationally disadvantaged (which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program); or
- is unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
- is homeless; or
- is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care); or
- is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States or is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer, a firefighter, or an emergency medical first responder
Dallas ISD PreK ScholarshipIf your child does not meet the eligibility requirements listed above, they may qualify for free PreK through the Dallas ISD PreK Scholarship.
The PreK Scholarship is designed to increase the opportunity for traditionally underserved communities by making early learning available, at no cost, to more children in Dallas.
A child is eligible for the PreK Scholarship if the child is 3-years-old on or by September 1, 2020 or is 4-years-old on or by September 1, 2020 and meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Student group with historical academic needs as identified in district data (currently identified as African American students)
- Expanded income bracket
- Child is unable to speak and comprehend the English language based on the preLAS assessment
2909 N. Buckner Boulevard, Ste. 804
Dallas, TX 75228
PreK Enrollment Hotline