For Educators and Campus Leaders
Everyone needs breaks and a regular emphasis on self-care! We can take care of others best when we take care of ourselves first.
We have a number of self-care resources and tips below for educators:
Use emotional check-ins during team meetings to understand where team members are coming from either by using a mood meter in a team meeting and asking for participants to share out or sharing a Weekly Emotional Check-In Survey via Google Form (please copy and rename the form before using).
Promoting Collaboration and Building Healthy Teams
Apply SEL Signature Practices during virtual meeting times to continue building positive relationships among team members and fostering connections during this challenging time.
- Watch recent webinars, Taking SEL Virtual for Adults or Taking SEL Virtual for Students, from our team in partnership with the Personalized Learning Department.
See our list of SEL Signature Practice examples below to cultivate engagement, positive connections, and a sense of security and belonging in all meetings, professional development sessions, and classes.
Welcoming Activity Examples
- Give 1 / Get 8 Self-Care Activity: Staff members can reflect on their own self-care practices and learn about more ideas from their peers.
- Use our Give 1 / Get Many Slide Template to add your own welcoming question and collect responses from your team members.
- Choose one (or multiple) Sentence Stems for adult community building using a digital platform for engagement
Engaging Practice Ideas
- Partner discussions
- Share outs
- Hold up answers in video conference meetings, etc.
- Choose a favorite background for video conferences
- Ask participants to share a favorite / cherished item at home
- Pick a meeting theme for participants: wear sunglasses, wear a funny hat, etc.
- Be creative!
Optimistic Closure Examples
End meetings with sentence stems like:
- One key takeaway for me is...
- One question that I still have...
- One thing that was exciting / interesting for me was...
- My next step will be...
- This week, I'm looking forward to...
CASEL has compiled an Optimistic Closure handout sharing the value of closure and reflection along with many more ideas.
Why You Should Ignore All That Coronavirus Productivity Pressure (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
A Trauma-Informed Approach to Teaching Through the Coronavirus (Teaching Tolerance)
Social-Emotional Learning Should Be Priority During COVID-19 Crisis (National Education Association)
Dr. Marc Brackett and Brené on "Permission to Feel" (57 minutes; Unlocking Us with Brené Brown Podcast)
A Social Prescription: Why Human Connection is Crucial to Our Health (49 minutes; Hidden Brain)
Advice for Dealing with Uncertainty, From People Who've Been There (19 minutes; Life Kit)
For Students, Parents, and Caregivers
- SEL Resources are listed under the "Helpful Parent Resources" section (on the left-hand side of the page)
Review our list of Ten Things to Support SEL at Home.