These past few months have thrown everyone’s plans into disarray, and you may be wondering what the best path is for you to pursue, now that the pandemic has altered everything, including the college experience and the job market.
City Year could offer you a worthwhile “gap year” for 2020-2021 as we all grapple with the impact of COVID-19 and look to the future.
City Year recruits, trains and supports 3,000 AmeriCorps members each year who partner with teachers and schools to help prepare students with the skills and mindsets they need to thrive in and out of school and contribute to their community.
While all of City Year’s partner schools are currently closed due to COVID-19, we have paused in-person service and shifted to virtual service, facilitating online learning and engagement spaces for students. Currently, City Year AmeriCorps members partner with teachers to create virtual opportunities for students to reflect on instructional content, lead class warm-ups and small group break-outs, hold video tutoring sessions, host activities that contribute to students’ physical and mental well-being, and support communication with students. City Year will be ready to resume in-person service once schools reopen and when we know it is safe to return.
Check out this video that captures some of the joy and connection that City Year AmeriCorps members bring to their students, even when in person service has shifted to distance learning and virtual service.
Serving with City Year:
1. Cultivates skills and experience that will help you meet your goals—personal, academic and professional.
- You will be challenged, have fun and learn a lot if you choose City Year. You will also gain critical skills that are in demand by employers, whatever career you choose to pursue.
- Our AmeriCorps members receive more than 300 hours of training throughout their service year and our alumni say the experience helped them to cultivate skills and networks that have helped them succeed across a wide array of professions.
1. Means you are part of a close-knit team of your peers, in the city of your choice.
- Unlike some national service programs, City Year AmeriCorps members serve in teams, learning together, challenging one another and creating bonds that can last a lifetime. Building these kinds of relationships at this moment in time is a powerful and valuable asset, as so many people are feeling alone and disoriented.
- City Year serves in 29 U.S. cities, so chances are, we are serving schools in your community or a community near you. Or perhaps you want a complete change—a move to a new place. City Year can help with relocation costs.
1. Brings flexibility and financial benefits, including a stipend, access to exclusive scholarships and a valuable education grant to put toward past or future studies.
- You will be modestly compensated for your service through a bi-weekly stipend and other benefits to help off-set some living expenses. You will receive free health insurance during your service.
- And you will receive access to dozens of scholarships for City Year alumni as well as a $6,196 Segal Education Award that can be used for college expenses, debt or educational travel—it’s up to you.
At a time when many things are uncertain, one thing is for sure: City Year will be there for students and for AmeriCorps members. LAST DEADLINE: May 29th. Apply here.
If you are interested in learning more, feel free to explore City Year’s website and find out more about applying by connecting with one of their recruiters.