At Young Men's Leadership Academy at Fred F. Florence Middle School, we challenge and equip young men with the critical skills necessary for college and career success. We prepare and motivate our young men to pursue careers in Engineering, Fine Arts, LCC, Leadership, and Sports. The Leader in Me Program is implemented school-wide, which allows students to engage in activities and discussions that help them learn and apply practical character and life skills. The skills gained from the 7 habits in Leader in Me will give our young men an advantage when entering the workforce with the critical leadership (soft) skills that employers seek.
- Be proactive. I'm a responsible person
- Begin with the End in Mind. I plan ahead and set goals.
- Put First Things First. I expend my time on things that are most important.
- Think Win-Win. I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want.
- Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood.
- Sharpen the Saw. I take care of my body by eating well, exercising, and getting sleep.
Through an integrated arts curriculum, exposure to a rigorous curriculum in science, math, and technology, and a schoolwide focus on AVID and leadership, we develop well-rounded scholars who will impact their communities and the world. We are committed to supporting our young men and putting them on a path to college, a career, or the military. Through a strong focus on building self-esteem and leadership skills, we show our students that they can open any door through effort, ingenuity, and persistence.