In 1891 the newly incorporated Town of Oak Cliff voted to seek bids
on a school building. The newspaper reported: “Resolved by the city council of Oak Cliff
that the mayor be instructed to advertise for plans for a modern three-story brick
school building with brick cross walls to be erected at Oak Cliff, Texas,
to contain twelve rooms for school purposes and the cost of said building,
complete, not to exceed the sum of $22,000,…” The cornerstone was laid at the corner
of Patton and Tenth streets for the school in September, 1892 under the auspices
of the Masonic grand lodge of Texas.
The school is named for William Hardin Adamson, who became superintendent
of the Oak Cliff School District shortly after moving to Oak Cliff in 1901.
The school district later was annexed by the Dallas Independent School District,
and when Oak Cliff High School was constructed, Adamson was named principal
of the new school. He served as principal until 1934 and died a year later
on 26 May 1935 at age 71. Shortly, after Mr. Adamson's death,
Oak Cliff High School was named W.H. Adamson High School in his memory.
Adamson High School was one of six high schools in Dallas in the 1930s and 1940s;
the only other high school in Oak Cliff was Sunset High School, which was located about
19 blocks from Adamson High.The location of Adamson High School is just four
blocks from the Texas Theater where Lee Harvey Oswald, the accused assassin
of President John F Kennedy, was captured.