The Dallas ISD | Homeless Education Program (HEP) supports homeless students and their families through the funding of the McKinney-Vento Act.
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act requires the immediate enrollment of children and youth experiencing homelessness, even in the absence of records normally required for enrollment. School is the safest place to be for children who may be in danger.
Services Provided by the Homeless Education Program Include:
- Establish stability through academic support for children in transition in order to succeed in school.
- Linkage to resources to address identified needs including but not limited to basic needs such as transportation, emergency food assistance, and housing.
- McKinney-Vento training to shelters, parents, community organizations, and District personnel.
- Collaboration with community organizations to provide uniforms to students experiencing homelessness.
- Collaboration with community organizations to provide after-school and holiday programming.
- LGBTQ outreach resources and support.
- As we process through our current shifting situation with COVID-19, we offer out considerations and emergency resources to support our students & families experiencing homelessness.
Establish stability for children and youth in transition, with a focus on basic needs, academic support, and emergency assistance, so that they may succeed holistically in school and in life.
Empower and encourage confidence, inspiration, independence, and stability with every homeless child and youth in the Dallas ISD.
Provide strategic advocacy of services that inspire confidence, create opportunities, and establishes stability for Dallas ISD children and youth in transition in order for them to succeed in school.
Dallas ISD |Homeless Education Program
Main Line: 972-749-5750
We invite you to send us your questions, concerns, suggestions, and or compliments to Let's Talk. A member of the Dallas ISD | Homeless Education Program (HEP) who can best address your comment will be notified.
If you or someone you know is experiencing a homeless crisis, please call
Sometimes Strength Comes In Knowing You Are Not Alone!
Get Help! Get Answers!
Summer Resource Links
Covid-19 Resources for Homeless Families - Free Student Wifi
Covid-19 Resources for Homeless Families - PrePaid Phones
Weather and School Safety Information