The Homeless Education Program (HEP) supports homeless students and their families through the funding of the McKinney-Vento Act
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act requires the immediate enrollment of children and youth experiencing homelessness, even in the absence of records normally required for enrollment. School is the safest place to be for children who may be in danger
Services Provided by the Homeless Education Program Include:
- Establish stability through academic support for children in transition in order to succeed in school.
- Linkage to resources to address identified needs including but not limited to basic needs such as transportation, emergency food assistance, and housing.
- McKinney-Vento training to shelters, parents, community organizations, and District personnel.
- Collaboration with community organizations to provide homeless students uniforms.
- Collaboration with community organizations to provide after-school and holiday programming.
- LGBTQ outreach resources and support.
Who We Are
The Dallas ISD | Homeless Education Program (HEP) purpose is to support homeless students and their families by providing services that establish stability for children and youth in transition in order for them to succeed in school. The HEP team is professionally prepared to provide strategic advocacy and practical assistance that supports homeless students and their families through the funding of the McKinney-Vento Act.
Meet the Staff
Ashley Marshall, Manager | District Homeless Liaison
Monica Flores | Administrative Assistant
Sakia Johnson | Coordinator
Yadira Coggins | Coordinator
Homeless Education Program
Main Line: 972-749-5750
We invite you to send us your questions, concerns, suggestions, and or compliments to Let's Talk. A member of the Homeless Education Program (HEP) who can best address your comment will be notified.
If you or someone you know is experiencing a homeless crisis, please call 1-888-411-6802.
Sometimes strength comes in knowing you are not alone. It Is Okay to Ask for Help!
Summer Resource Links
Covid-19 Resources for Homeless Families - Free Student Wifi
Covid-19 Resources for Homeless Families - PrePaid Phones
Weather and School Safety Information