As part of the Middle Years Programme (MYP), design challenges all students to:
MYP design focuses a holistic design process rather then final products and solutions.
- apply practical and creative thinking skills to solve design problems
- explore the role of design in both historical and contemporary contexts
- consider their responsibilities when making design decisions and taking action.
The aims of MYP design is to encourage and enable students to:
- enjoy the design process, develop an appreciation of its elegance and power
- develop knowledge, understanding and skills from different disciplines to design and create solutions to problems using the design cycle
- use and apply technology effectively as a means to access, process and communicate information, model and create solutions, and to solve problems
- develop an appreciation of the impact of design innovations for life, global society and environments
- appreciate past, present and emerging design within cultural, political, social, historical and environmental contexts
- develop respect for others' viewpoints and appreciate alternative solutions to problems
- act with integrity and honesty, and take responsibility for their own actions developing effective working practices.