Welcome to the JL Long Math Department!
The AIMS of MYP Mathematics is to encourage and enable students to:
- enjoy mathematics, develop curiosity and begin to appreciate its elegance and power
- develop an understanding of the principles and nature of mathematics
- communicate clearly and confidently in a variety of contexts
- develop logical, critical and creative thinking
- develop confidence, perseverance and independence in mathematical thinking and problem-solving
- develop powers of generalization and abstraction
- apply and transfer skills to a wide range of real-life situations, other areas of knowledge and future developments
- appreciate how developments in technology and mathematics have influenced each other; the moral, social and ethical implications arising from the work of mathematicians and the applications of mathematics; the international dimension in mathematics; and the contribution of mathematics to other areas of knowledge
- develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to pursue further studies in mathematics
- develop the ability to reflect critically upon their own work and the work of others.