Welcome to the World Languages Department!
The AIMS of MYP Language Acquistion is to encourage and enable students to:
- gain proficiency in an additional language while supporting maintenance of their mother tongue and cultural heritage
- develop respect for, and understanding of, diverse linguistic and cultural heritages
- develop communication skills necessary for further language learning, and for study, work and leisure in a range of contexts
- develop multiliteracy skills through the use of a range of learning tools
- develop an appreciation of a variety of literary and non-literary texts and to develop critical and creative techniques for comprehension and construction of meaning
- recognize and use language as a vehicle of thought, reflection, self-expression and learning in other subjects
- understand the nature of language and the process of language learning
- gain insight into the cultural characteristics of the communities where the language is spoken
- gain an awareness and understanding of the perspectives of people from own and other cultures
- develop curiosity, inquiry and a lifelong interest in, and enjoyment of, language learning.
Department chair: Susan Moreno