The Academy of Finance
NAF is a national network of education, business and community leaders who work together to ensure high school students are college, career and future ready. NAF's educational design ignites students' passion for learning and gives businesses the opportunity to shape America's future workforce by transforming the learning environment to include industry-specific curricula and work-based learning experiences, including internships. NAF has grown from one NAF Academy of Finance in New York to over 700 academies across the country focusing on growing industries. To learn more about NAF visit naf.org.
NAF Academy of Finance (AOF) curricula is created in partnership with industry professionals and is designed around projects that help students make connections across subject areas, acquire valuable workplace skills, and see their education as a step toward long-term career success.
This program connects high school students with the world of financial services, offering a curriculum that covers banking and credit, financial planning, securities, insurance, accounting, taxes and economics. Students will participate in a variety of experiences to enhance classroom learning, including work-based learning activities, field trips, guest speakers, and cooperative learning projects.
What's in it for the NAF-Finance Academy Student?
- Exposes students to careers in finance and business
- Small "learning community"
- Network with business leaders
- NAF Alumni network
- Scholarship opportunities
- Real business and networking skills
- Internship - Summer between Junior & Senior year
- Learn job interview skills
- Develop problem-solving, collaboration and other business-related skills
- Earn NAFTrack Certification
- NAF Honor Cord at Graduation (Must complete all requirements)
Students in the Academy of Finance program at Sunset High School have the opportunity to earn NAFTrack Certification. NAFTrack Certification gives students guaranteed interviews at many large prestigious businesses among many other benefits. Visit NAFTrack-NAF to find out more about the NAFTrack benefits and NAFTrack Certified Hiring.
NAF-Academy of Finance courses at Sunset High School include:
- Principles of Business, Marketing and Finance (recommended in 9th grade)
- Accounting 1 (recommended in 10th grade)
- Money Matters (recommended in 11th grade)
- Financial Internship Honors (Summer between Junior & Senior year- June/July)
- Insurance Operations (12 grade)
The Principles of Business, Marketing and Finance is sponsored by the National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship and Insurance (a brand new major opened at UNT college with lots of job opportunities), is sponsored through Invest, which brings real world training into the classroom. Both programs offer several scholarships and other opportunities.
Our NAF-Academy of Finance Team
Ms. Lena Marietti: Academy of Finance Lead Teacher
Mrs. Paula King: Academy of Finance Teacher
Ms. Pam Toney: Academy of Finance Internship Placement Coordinator