We believe that all students deserve a one of a kind education based on their strengths, interests, needs and skills. We consider this a part of self discovery.
Personalized Learning (PL) is a one-size-fits-one approach to instruction that (1) taps into each student's strengths, needs, and interests to customize learning and (2) supports student voice and choice in what, how, when, and where they learn to ensure that all students achieve at their greatest potential. At IDEA, we accomplish this instructional model in the following ways:
- Blended Learning: blended learning is any formal education program in which a student learns at least in part through online learning, with some element of student control over time, place, path, and/or pace. (Blended Learning Universe 2019)
- Project Based Learning:(PBL) is an instructional methodology that encourages students to learn and apply knowledge and skills through an engaging experience. PBL presents opportunities for deeper learning in-context and for the development of important skills tied to college and career readiness. (Defined STEM 2019)
- Experiential Learning: “In its simplest form, experiential learning means learning from experience or learning by doing. Experiential education first immerses learners in an experience and then encourages reflection about the experience to develop new skills, new attitudes, or new ways of thinking.” (Ryerson University 2019)
- Service Learning: Community engagement pedagogies, often called “service learning,” are ones that combine learning goals and community service in ways that can enhance both student growth and the common good. (Vanderbilt 2019)
- Learning Through Internship + Mentorship: A. Learning Through Internship: Learning through internships (LTI) is a unique educational strategy aimed at making education more relevant and engaging. The primary purpose of a student’s LTI experience is to build knowledge, understanding and skills in the context of authentic work, fundamental to the personalizd learning approach, is that each student learns through pursuing his or her own interests and passions. (Excerpt from Big Picture Learning) B. Learning through Mentorship: 1:1 Mentoring is a key aspect of the IDEA Learning experience. It is important for IDEA students to feel truly connected and cared for by adults at the school. All IDEA students are paired with a mentor who acts as their advocate both inside and outside of the classroom. Mentors could be an older student, a teacher advisor and mentors from the community and local businesses.