THEATRE CONSERVATORYThe Theatre Department introduces the student to all aspects of the Theatre through a broad based curriculum. The curriculum provides a strong foundation of historical and dramatic literature, acting, mime, technical/production areas, and design. Through this four year program students’ talents are discovered and nurtured and the students are given ample opportunity to use those talents and skills in lab and performance situations. The Theatre Department has a strong commitment to experiential learning as a means to reinforce the lessons of the classroom and to encourage artistic discipline and growth. As a result of this in-depth training, students enter into higher education either as able participants in the theatrical arts or as informed patrons of the arts.
Theatre Department Philosophy
The philosophy of the Theatre Department at the Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts is to provide comprehensive training in theatre in a way that:
· trains students through modern and classical methods
· allows students to perform and utilize theatrical skills in productions
· teaches process and problem solving
· improves students' theatrical skills
· encourages creative thinking
· provides a safe, positive environment where students are free to take chances and experiment
· challenges students to move beyond potential into success
· teaches and encourages the practice of honesty and open communication about work
· opens students to the total spectrum of theatre
· teaches ethics and responsibility on both the professional and personal level
so that we have affirmed students who will continue to grow as theatre artists, creative thinkers, and responsible community members.