About the Name
Dedicated in 1951, the William B. Carrell School opened in 1952.
"The facility met every need for the orthopedically handicapped, and the teachers were able to expand the curriculum. There were therapy rooms as well as classrooms.
Dr. William B. Carrell was an orthopedic surgeon who gave so much of his time and money to crippled children in Dallas. After his death, Mrs. Carrell continued on as a strong support of this school."
(Quote from Rose-Mary Rumbley, A Century of Class, 1984).
In 1978, the facility was remodeled and renamed the Multiple Careers Magnet Center @ Wm. B. Carrell, and to this day it provides vocational programs for students with special needs.