Gaston MS
  •  

     

     

    Vision:

    Gaston Middle School aspires to be the beacon of innovation and excellence in learning and life for all. 

     

    Mission:

    Gaston Middle School provides innovative opportunities to achieve excellence in learning and life for all 

     

    General Information

    W. H. Gaston Middle School is located in East Dallas at 9565 Mercer Drive and serves about 1000 students in sixth, seventh, and eighth grades.
     
    Students at Gaston have received some of the highest STAAR scores in the district, and the school is rated academically acceptable. The school's staff is extremely proud of the academic gains students have made in the last three years and the school continues to be recognized for its academic and extracurricular activities.
     
    Gaston Middle School promotes the arts by offering band, orchestra, drama, and art. Each student is encouraged to participate in sports, fine arts, and academic competitions.
      

    Quick Facts

    Principal: K.Mockler

    Grade Levels: 6-8

    Uniform Colors: 2021-2022

    Tops:

      • 6th - Navy Blue
      • 7th - Gold (Not  Yellow) 
      • 8th - Black

    Bottoms: Khaki or Black


    School Colors:
    Blue and Gold
    *Clear or Mesh backpack Allowed
    *Trapper Keeper Allowed

    Mascot: Panther

    School Netword:
    Northeast Secondary Learning Network

    Executive Director: Richard Kastl

    Trustee District 3

    School Board Member: Dan Micciche

     

    Who Was William Henry Gaston?

    https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fga63

    GASTON, WILLIAM HENRY (1840–1927). William H. Gaston, a founder of Dallas, was born on October 25, 1840, near Prairie Bluff, Alabama, the son of Robert Kilpatrick and Letitia (Suddeth) Gaston. He and his family moved to Mississippi and then to Plentitude, Texas, in 1849. His father farmed extensive landholdings in that region and served two terms in the Texas legislature. William, along with his brothers Robert and George, attended the nearby Mound Prairie Institute. All three later served in the Confederate Army. The family was en route to Dallas in 1861 when an outbreak of typhoid fever caused them to stay temporarily near Mount Sylvan in Smith County. From there Gaston left to join a volunteer company being recruited in Anderson County for Confederate service. By October 1861 he had been elected captain, and his company became part of the First Texas Infantry regiment of Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia.

    Gaston commanded his company with distinction through the terrible battles in Virginia in 1862. After recovering from typhoid fever, he was detailed to Texas on recruiting duty for the regiment. While on leave he married a former schoolmate, Laura Furlow. He was subsequently reassigned to serve as Confederate purchasing agent in the Trans-Mississippi Department, where he spent the remainder of the war.

    After Gaston was discharged in June 1865 he returned to Anderson County and farmed. His wife died in 1867, and a year later he married her sister Ione. After a successful cotton crop, they moved to Dallas with $20,000 in gold. Sources disagree about the source of the gold. Some of it came from cotton; some may have come from Gaston's days as a purchasing agent. Gaston entered into partnership with Aaron C. Camp, and they opened the Gaston and Camp Bank of Dallas, the first permanent bank in Dallas. Within a short time Gaston had expanded into real estate, merchandising, and general speculation; the bank became the Exchange Bank and later the First National Bank of Dallas. Only five years after his arrival the Dallas Herald (see DALLAS TIMES HERALD) declared that William Gaston was most responsible for the transformation of Dallas into a city. He was reported to be one of the city's first millionaires, and another of his banks, Gaston and Gaston Bank, was the predecessor of the Republic National Bank. A Dallas Thoroughfare bears his name.

    In 1886 Gaston donated eighty acres for the State Fair of Texas grounds. He and his wife raised three sons and two daughters. He died on January 24, 1927, and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Dallas.

    BIBLIOGRAPHY: 
    Dallas Morning News, January 25, 1927. Dallas Times Herald, January 25, 1927. Robert W. Glover, ed., Tyler to Sharpsburg: The War Letters of Robert H. and William H. Gaston (Waco: Texian Press, 1960). Ralph W. Widener, Jr., William Henry Gaston, A Builder of Dallas (Dallas: Historical Publishing, 1977).