Welcome to the E.L. DeGolyer Library
Welcome to the E.L. DeGolyer Library page. My name is Ms. Bolin and I am starting my 2nd year as librarian at DeGolyer. I enjoy working with the students and staff here and hope to encourage a love for literacy in all our scholars!
- Campus Library Mission
My primary mission as the DeGolyer Campus Librarian is to encourage all individuals to become lifelong learners.
Under the leadership of Library Media Services, the campus librarian will incorporate the following Standards of Service:
- provide a comprehensive collection of instructional materials with equitable access selected in compliance with Dallas ISD approved collection development policies while responding positively to changes that users need and want in resources, formats, and services;
- support the students’ right to self-selection of materials for enjoyment or information;
- support academic rigor by integrating the teaching of research and information processing skills to ensure students are college ready and effective life-long users of information and creative problem solvers;
- encourage a high level of circulation which includes intra-library loan of materials to all students and staff;
- collaborate with teachers so that information processing skills and ethical behavior in the use of the information are taught in the context of the curriculum through direct instruction of all resources;
- nurture and cultivate effective teaching to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and, using information and ideas;
- stay abreast of the information culture of students and staff and incorporate this awareness into the library program;
- be an active participant in moving the library program forward by broadening one’s professional learning through articles, conferences, professional development, and networking with colleagues;
- support the social and emotional learning of all students; and
- seek knowledge of technological changes and integrate them effectively into the framework of the curriculum.
- Upcoming Dates
Fall Book Fair - October 3-6, 2017 “Wild West Book Fair – Saddle Up and Read!”
Students in grades K-5 are invited to join Ms. Bolin in the library after school on Mondays, 3:00-4:00 pm, to explore the MakerSpace Movement. According to Open Education Database (OEDb) MakerSpace is simply a place “where people gather to get creative with DIY projects, invent new ones, and share ideas.”
We will begin with simple projects such as origami and constructing small structures with household items, and increase in complexity as we collaborate, problem solve and learn together.
For the Fall Semester, we will meet on the following Mondays:
Grades K-2*Grades 3-5
October 9, 2017*October 16, 2017
October 23, 2017*October 30, 2017
November 27, 2017*December 11, 2017
Information and permission slips will be sent home on Tuesday, September 26th. If your child would like to participate, please return the permission slip to Ms. Bolin by Thursday, October 5, 2017.
If you have any questions, please call me at (972) 794-2814 or email me at email@example.com.