Dallas ISD's Excellence Initiatives
& Performance Management Tools
Dallas ISD is committed to improving the quality of instruction by placing an effective teacher in front of every child, an effective principal at every campus, and effective staff in all roles across the District. Our efforts to transform Dallas ISD have focused on investing in our people and developing our human capital. In particular, we have fundamentally changed how we assess principal, assistant principal, and teacher effectiveness. Evaluations are tied to student achievement results and other key performance metrics, and compensation for principals, assistant principals, and teachers is tied to overall effectiveness.
In Dallas, we recognize the important role of principals, assistant principals, and teachers in improving student achievement results and building and sustaining a positive and supportive school culture. As a result of the Excellence Initiatives (PEI, APEI, and TEI), Dallas ISD has an objective way to measure effectiveness, and the combination of multiple measures presents a holistic view of employee performance.
The commitment of Dallas ISD to transform evaluation systems into Excellence Initiatives provides Dallas ISD with the human capital information needed to best support the ambitious student achievement goals outlined by the Board of Trustees. The Dallas ISD Excellence Initiatives provide a fair, accurate, and rigorous way to identify and reward those having the biggest impact on our students, as well as the information to grow and develop as we seek to continually improve the quality of instruction.
Dallas ISD Evaluation Tools
(Eligible for Strategic Compensation)
- Teachers (TEI)
- Assistant Principals (APEI)
- Principals (PEI)
- School Leadership Executive Directors (EDEI)
Career Management System (CMS)
- Central and Campus-based support employees
- Campus-based administrative & support roles
- Instructional support roles
- Central professional and support staff
- Classified positions
- Teaching roles not eligible for TEI
- Examples: Driver, Coordinator, Office Manager, Speech Therapist, Teacher Assistant, and Technician
Dallas Librarian Appraisal
- Media Specialists
School Counselor Appraisal Instrument
* JROTC-High School, SPED Adaptive PE, Itinerant Teachers, Instructional Coaches, teachers on an hourly pay schedule will be evaluated on CMS* Substitute teachers and Athletic Coordinators will be evaluated using their respective evaluation tools
- School Counselors