Online applications to magnet schools will be available online beginning November 2020 through January 31, 2021. Students may select up to two magnet schools.
Students must meet GPA and test score eligibility in order to be qualified to apply to a magnet program. Students applying to a magnet program must meet the following eligibility:
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) in core subjects (Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies)
- Minimum Measurement of Academic Progress (MAP) or other norm referenced test score minimum
75% Grade point average in core subjects (Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies)
Exception: For all Talented & Gifted schools and Townview Science and Engineering, 80% grade point average in in core subjects (Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies) See the Magnet Schools page for a list of schools
STANDARDIZED TEST ELIGIBILITY
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, all State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) administrations scheduled for April, May, and June 2020 were canceled. In lieu of using STAAR scores as eligibility criteria for Magnet admission, Measurement of Academic Progress (MAP) assessments will be used as replacements for magnet eligibility.
40th Percentile on Fall 2019 ACP Reading AND Math OR Local 40th Percentile on upcoming 2020 Beginning-of-Year MAP Reading AND Math
Exception: For all Talented & Gifted schools and Townview Science and Engineering, 70th Percentile on Fall 2019 ACP Reading AND Math OR Local 70th Percentile on upcoming 2020 Beginning-of-Year MAP Reading AND Math (See the Magnet Schools page for a list of schools)
Note: Students currently enrolled in Dallas ISD will be tested within the month of September 2020. You may contact the school your student is enrolled in for information on testing dates.
Applicants who meet the minimum GPA and test score requirements are eligible to move forward to the on-campus assessment process. The assessment will be scheduled online once eligibility has been met and all other required documents have been submitted online.
- Copy of student’s most recent report card
- Dallas ISD MAP Scores or any Norm referenced test scores
- Any existing IEP and/or 504 plan accommodation, if applicable
- Proof of residency (only current electric, gas, water bill or lease/mortgage will be accepted) If you are living with another family, or cannot provide either of the above listed items the following may be provided:
- Signed letter stating family is living with another family and
- Student Residency Questionnaire (click English or Spanish to access the form) and Utility bill (gas, electric, water) belonging to the person you are living with dated within the past 60 days (Proof of address will also be required at the time of acceptance, enrollment, and throughout the school year)
*If the situation is temporary, once you have moved, you must provide proof of residency for the new home.
The number of seats available for each magnet program will be identified before the application process begins. Seats will be awarded based on the following formula:
- 30% of the seats are awarded districtwide by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score without consideration of feeder pattern or sibling status
- 70% of the seats are awarded within the comprehensive high school feeder patterns (adjusted proportionally for student population) by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score; subject to sibling rule or preference
Qualified applicants who are not selected due to limited space will be placed on a rank-ordered waiting list. The wait list will remain active until the end of Dallas ISD's first grading period and student vacancies will be filled until that time.
Dallas ISD Policy EHBJ (LOCAL): For each magnet program, all qualified in-district students shall be served before any out-of-district student may gain admission into that magnet program. Proof of residence must be submitted each year.
Falsifying information on the Magnet application will invalidate the application, and the student's application will be excluded from the selection process. The Dallas Independent School District reserves the right to change a student's enrollment status, placement and/or programming upon receipt of additional information.