Dallas ISD P.L.A.Y. Iniatitive
The PLAY Initiative, part of Engage 360, is a co-curricular, instructional sports development initiative available to students in grades 4-6. The PLAY Initiative addresses equitable access to learning and enrichment by providing an opportunity for students to practice and internalize the skills, attitudes, and knowledge acquired in the physical education classroom through their participation in sports activities and games outside the regular school day.
PLAY serves as a pathway for kids to tap into their cultural capital and connects students to popular athletic culture as a way of grabbing their attention and connecting it to their interests in activities and sports, many of which they have never played. The initiative aims to provide students and teachers with the following:
- Fun activities in a safe and professionally supervised environment.
- Training for teachers/coaches to have the capacity to help students of all ability levels feel comfortable participating in sports beyond their physical activity time.
- Opportunities to participate in a variety of diversified sports and physical activities without regard for high performance skill or ability.
- A focus on increasing self-esteem, positive social interactions, and having fun while participating in sports.
- Nurturing a healthy spirit of competition, sportsmanship and teamwork.
- Opportunities for students to learn about the sports that they will have the option to participate in during 7th grade Athletics.
Mission Statement: Our mission is to provide a safe and inclusive environment for all children to develop their athletic skills, build confidence, and learn the value of teamwork and sportsmanship. We are committed to promoting equity in sports and ensuring that every child, regardless of their background or abilities, has the opportunity to participate and succeed. Through our after-school sports program, we aim to inspire and encourage young athletes to pursue their passions and reach their full potential, both on and off the field.
Vision Statement: Our vision is to create a future where all students have access to enriching and enjoyable sports experiences, regardless of their abilities. We aspire to be a leader in promoting equity in sports and physical education, and to empower students to lead active and healthy lives. Our program will be recognized as a dynamic and inclusive co-curricular program that nurtures the growth and potential of every student.
FREE EQUIPMENT • SUPPLEMENTAL PAY FOR TEACHER SPONSORS
NO TRYOUTS • EVERYONE PLAYS
EVERY STUDENT GETS A FREE MEAL!
Our Awesome Physical Education Teachers
Students in Action
P.L.A.Y. COORDINATOR'S MEETING SCHEDULE
Lance Johanson, Project Manager
Health & Physical Education Department
Direct Line (972) 925-6717
Mobile Number 682-551-6076