Pre-K Today. Professionals Tomorrow.
We’re working to make Pre-K available to everyone.
Dallas ISD Pre-K is free to students who meet certain eligibility requirements. But now even those who do not meet those requirements can attend, thanks to our new tuition-based program.
Learn more about how Dallas ISD now offers both free and tuition-based Pre-K below.
90% of human brain development happens before age 5. In other words, waiting until Kindergarten to start teaching our kids is already too late. By registering your child in Dallas ISD’s Pre-K program, you give them the gift of a brighter future. As adults, they also end up earning higher incomes, on average, than similar students who do not register in Pre-K. Studies show that kids who attend Pre-K are:
- 5x more likely to be ready for Kindergarten
- More likely to succeed in school
- More likely to go to college
- Less likely to drop out
- Less likely to become a teen parent
- Less likely to be arrested for a violent crime
Studies show that kids who attend Pre-K are more likely to succeed in school, more likely to graduate, and more likely to go to college.
Who is eligible?
Dallas ISD offers both free and tuition-based Pre-K programs. For both programs, a child must be three- or four-years-old on or before September 1st to be eligible.
Three- or four-year-old students who are not eligible for free Pre-K can enroll in tuition-based Pre-K at select schools.
Children can attend Dallas ISD Pre-K for free, without paying tuition, if they meet at least ONE of the following requirements:
- The child is eligible for the national free or reduced-price school lunch program. Reduced-Price School Lunch Income Limits
- The child is unable to speak and comprehend the English language.
- The child is homeless.
- The child is a dependent of an active duty member of the U.S. armed forces.
- The child is a dependent of a member of the armed forces of the United States, State military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- The child is or has been in foster care.
- The child is a dependent of a recipient of the Star of Texas Award.
Again, your child only has to meet ONE of these requirements to qualify for free Pre-K. If you do not qualify for free Pre-K, you can still enroll your child in the tuition-based Pre-K program.
How to Register for Free Pre-K
PreK Registration is open for the current school year. Please visit your local campus and bring the required documents listed below.
Parent Portal account access will be provided along with information on how to complete the online enrollment.
Registration is first come, first served, and seats are limited. Enroll TODAY!
Note: Registration for the upcoming (2019-2020) school year will open on Monday, April 1, 2019
Below are the Required Documents you will need to bring:
- The child’s birth certificate
- The child’s current immunization record
- The child’s social security card (optional, but will save time if you have it)
- Proof of residence (a utility bill, mortgage or lease statement)
- Picture ID of the child’s parent or guardian
- Proof of income for all working members of the household, a SNAP, TANF or Medicaid statement (if applicable)
- Military ID card of parent or guardian (if applicable)
- Court papers indicating conservatorship or foster child placement (if applicable)
Visit your local campus during school hours for assistance. Once you have obtained Unified Classroom - Parent Portal access information, parents can complete and submit the online enrollment forms.
Seats are available, but space is limited. Register NOW to ensure your child doesn’t get left out!
*If you do not know which local elementary pertains to your address, simply use the school zone finder
2909 N. Buckner Boulevard, Ste. 804
Dallas, TX 75228
Main Office (972) 925-6770
Fax (972) 794-3519