District Accolades -- 9/22/2016
September 22, 2016 Board Meeting
Dallas ISD is proud to have 16 students named as semifinalists for the National Merit Scholarship program. The students are:
School of Science and Engineering Magnet--
- Jesus R. Cantu, Arpan Kaphle, Omar Ramirez, Caitlin R. Rogers, and Maximillian O. Virani
School for the Talented and Gifted--
- Beckham L. Myers, Andrew Noel, Satvik Pendyala, Ajay Raja, Maya P. Reddi, Henry F. Roseman, Abhishek K. Shankar, and Aviral Somani
School of Business and Management--
- Paul A. Turicchi
Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts--
- Frances P. Garnett
W.T. White High School--
- Brady K. Allen
Seven of the district’s top STEM teachers were recognized by the TI Foundation for consistently providing quality instruction and building student achievement in STEM subjects. The teachers receiving TI’s Innovations in STEM Teaching Awards are:
- Renee Jackson – Zan W. Holmes Middle School
- Annemarie Fehrenbacher – Irma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership School
- Janet Fuller – Environmental Education Center (EEC)
- Thuy Nguyen – Emmett J. Conrad High School
- Jennifer Montoya – Skyline HighSchool
- Jose Delgado – Bryan Adams High School
- Brandon Carver – Woodrow Wilson High School
- Dallas ISD received the 2016 Our Driving Concern Texas Employer Traffic Safety Award presented by the National Safety Council and the Texas Department of Transportation. The award recognizes the district’s safety driving program that provides comprehensive screening and training for drivers in the district.
John Q. Adams Elementary received a grant from the Carson Scholars Fund to open a Dr. Ben Carson Reading Room on its campus. The room has more than 2,000 new books and provides a place for scholars to relax and read for pleasure. With the help of Domtar and its vendors, the room has been transformed from a classroom to a beautiful "campsite" in the mountains.
Kudos to Shelley Weiske, fourth- and fifth-grade teacher at Dealey Montessori, who was awarded the Service Above Self-Outstanding Teacher Award by the Dallas Rotary Club last month for going that extra mile for her students and parents.