W. B. CARRELL BIOGRAPHY
CARRELL, WILLIAM BEALL (1883–1944). William Beall Carrell, an orthopedic surgeon known for his humanitarian efforts with crippled children, was born in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, on December 21, 1883, the only son of six children of Dr. C. A. and Jennie L. (Herrin) Carrell; the elder Carrell practiced medicine in Cedar Hill, Texas. William Carrell attended college at Southwestern University at Georgetown, where he received his bachelor of science degree in 1905. On September 20 of the same year he married Beulah Stewart of Dallas, the daughter of J. H. Stewart, the district clerk of Dallas County. William and Beulah had two sons and one daughter. Carrell received his degree in medicine in 1908 at Southwestern Medical School in Dallas and interned at St. Paul's Sanitarium in Dallas from 1908 to 1910. He remained in the city to practice until the outbreak of World War I. He joined the United States Army Medical Corp in December 1917 and was assigned successively to Oklahoma City, Houston, New Orleans, Washington, D.C., Liverpool, England, various sites in France, and finally New York City. He left the army in August 1919 with the rank of major.
Upon returning to Dallas after the war he focused his career on orthopedic surgery, especially among children. He was active in getting state legislation passed to secure care for impoverished children suffering from paralysis. Carrell was one of the founding organizers of the Texas Society for Crippled Children, and he also served on the orthopedic board of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. He did his main work at the Carrell-Girard Clinic in Dallas, where he was senior member. He also served as orthopedic surgeon for Baylor, Methodist, and Parkland hospitals. He was the chief surgeon for the Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children and the Dallas Orthopedic Hospital, and he taught at the Baylor School of Medicine as professor of orthopedic surgery. In 1925 Carrell received the Linz Award, a prestigious honor for Dallas citizens, for outstanding service.
He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Southern Medical Association, the Texas, North Texas, and Dallas Medical societies, and the American College of Surgeons. He was also a member of the Phi Delta Theta and the Kappa Psi fraternities. He was a thirty-third-degree Mason and a member of the Scottish Rite and the Hella Temple Shrine. His other memberships included the Dallas Athletic Club, the Dallas Country Club, the Dallas Automobile Country Club, and the Rotary Club. He was a member of Highland Park Methodist Church. He died at his home in Dallas on February 23, 1944.